Recent Topics

1 Aug 30, 2009 13:09    

My b2evolution Version: 3.3.1

I always forget to ask this question and I really don't have a way to test caches.

So, what's the difference, advantages, and disadvantages between blog-cache and skin-cache introduced in the v3-branch?

The way I understand it right now is this:
blog-cache - will cache anything that is not originating from "skins"
- like what tho?
- the whole site are mostly rendered by the skin ^^

skin-cache - will cache anything that is rendered by the skin
- skin-images
- skin-css
- skin-javascripts

Then questions like these pop-ups:
1) Which one is good as a buffer against the digg-effect?
2) Which one eats more CPU vs. server RAM?
3) Good for shared hosting? (low-cost, medium cost, ??? )
4) How about scripts that are not or should not be cached, are these affected/get cached? (like Analytics and scripts for AdManagers, especially ad banners)
5) How long does the caches remain? For example the skin was updated, or a part of it (like the external CSS files)?? A publisher can't possibly expect his visitors to "force-refresh" (CTRL+F5)....

Thanks thanks.

2 Aug 30, 2009 16:51

Laibcoms wrote:

The way I understand it right now is this:
blog-cache - will cache anything that is not originating from "skins"

Uhm, no. The blog-specific cache caches everything that comes from a skin. The global cache caches anything that doesn't come from a skin; for example, the blog templates which come shipped with b2evo use the global cache (these files are all located in the blogs/ folder):

• summary.php

• default.php

• a_noskin.php

• multiblogs.php

• [/list:u]

1) Which one is good as a buffer against the digg-effect?

Most of the time I think that would be the blog-specific cache.

2) Which one eats more CPU vs. server RAM?

The caches work identically (it's a class named "PageCache") and store the cached pages on disk, not in the RAM. I don't think the caches affect the CPU much.

3) Good for shared hosting? (low-cost, medium cost, ??? )

Should work anywhere (if PHP can write files somewhere). Well, perhaps you need a little bit of free disk space, but that depends of your average page size etc.

4) How about scripts that are not or should not be cached, are these affected/get cached? (like Analytics and scripts for AdManagers, especially ad banners)

The cache stores the HTML that is sent to the browser, so if you just include a JavaScript using the src attribute of the <script> tag, it will work with the cache.

5) How long does the caches remain? For example the skin was updated, or a part of it (like the external CSS files)?? A publisher can't possibly expect his visitors to "force-refresh" (CTRL+F5)....

Currently for 5 minutes.

3 Aug 30, 2009 17:01

Wow, yer a mine of useless information! ;)

¥

4 Aug 31, 2009 13:25

Cool. Thanks for the explanation!! ^_^

Form is loading...