Recent Topics

1 Oct 15, 2009 01:06    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Greetings.
I've recently upgraded an old old blog to 3.3.1 and my trackback spam has gone nuts. I used to never get any, now I'm getting dozens/day.

I tried adding recaptcha and Turing Test but there's been no change. What do I do?

2 Oct 15, 2009 01:30

Turing Test won't help against trackback spam, but recaptcha should have. Dunno though, I don't use it OR allow trackbacks.

Best way to stop trackback spam is to disable trackbacks. :(

3 Oct 15, 2009 01:35

I figured as well. Anyway I cannot for the life of me figure out how to disable trackbacks... I can't find them anywhere in the admin. I can't even figure out how they're posting trackbacks. I have comments disabled and I can't find any links on the pages that allow posting of trackbacks. They might be using some direct post method.

4 Oct 15, 2009 02:12

Depends on your version, but try Blog settings -> pick a blog -> Features. Should be a checkbox to un-check for disabling trackbacks.

5 Oct 16, 2009 02:45

EdB wrote:

Depends on your version, but try Blog settings -> pick a blog -> Features. Should be a checkbox to un-check for disabling trackbacks.

Thanks a lot for this post! I've been plagued for days now with unwanted trackback, including foreign language ads, etc. etc. - what a relief to be able to just turn these OFF!

But - what if there is a good reason for a trackback - is there? If so, how would this be done, and still block the spam? (In the meantime, I'm happy - thanks!)

6 Oct 16, 2009 03:21

In theory trackback allows for some other blogger to grab your trackback URL and paste it into their blog app when they want to blog about a blog post you made. Part of their post shows up as a trackback on your blog. So I guess it depends on what you consider a "good" reason to have them, but to me there simply isn't any value in them.

I thought captcha or recaptcha worked on trackbacks, but hey maybe not. Anyway that is the only anti-trackback-spam tool I am aware of. Not that I pay attention though because I simply don't enable that feature. Ever.

7 Oct 16, 2009 05:48

EdB wrote:

In theory trackback allows for some other blogger to grab your trackback URL and paste it into their blog app when they want to blog about a blog post you made. Part of their post shows up as a trackback on your blog. So I guess it depends on what you consider a "good" reason to have them, but to me there simply isn't any value in them.

I thought captcha or recaptcha worked on trackbacks, but hey maybe not. Anyway that is the only anti-trackback-spam tool I am aware of. Not that I pay attention though because I simply don't enable that feature. Ever.

I get it. No Trackbacks in my Blog - period. Thank you very much!

8 Oct 16, 2009 06:14

Strangely, I still cannot find any reference to trackbacks anywhere in the admin screens...

9 Oct 20, 2009 02:58

I thought I was going crazy - could not find where to turn off track backs either- but it seems it is hidden once you have turned off comments !!

So go to Features - allow comments on all posts - and lo and behold out pops the allow track backs box - uncheck it - then disallow comments - and hopefully some peace from spam..

But.. I cant help but feel this is not a real solution.. for a blog..

I have to move servers - so after I have managed that I might try something a little more sophisticated.. its just that I am being hammered by spam over the last few weeks - not sure why -

10 Oct 20, 2009 08:35

In v2, there are plugins that have trackback support (Captcha or reCaptcha plugins - I can't remember which).

In v3, I'm not sure if those work still. I switched to Disqus as my Comments system which include trackbacks. If that is an option for you, visit http://disqus.com and check it out. And if you need help in integrating it in your blog, just ask :D

My b2evo blogs using disqus:
http://gameshogun.ws
http://laibcoms.asia/blog/

Form is loading...