Recent Topics

1 Nov 11, 2009 18:36    

My b2evolution Version: 3.3.2

New user to b2evolution, and started it up using the new 3.3.2.

What I'm trying to figure out is what exactly determines the size of the resized version of uploaded images that end up in the .evocache directory. It looks like everything I upload is also being turned into an 80x80 version -- however, I also had some images that generated 400x320 and 320x320 versions as well. I haven't been able to figure out how this occurs.

Ultimately what I would love is to ensure that every image I upload has cached images generated of both the 80x80 and 400x320 versions.

I can't provide a link to the blog because it's on an local intranet, but I doubt that's important for this question anyway.

Thanks very much.
--Andy

2 Nov 11, 2009 18:56

Andy,

The different thumbnail sizes are generated teh first time they are requested or whenever they are no longer foudn in the cache.

The skin you use for public view of your blog internally decides on which size it wants for the images. A different skin may generate different "thumbnail" sized.

The 80x80 are typically generated when browsing images though the filemanager in the backoffice.

You normally never need to worry about what's in the .evocache folders. It should work completely transparently.

3 Nov 11, 2009 19:12

Thanks for the reply. I'm wondering now if I've got something else going on that was leading me in the wrong direction.

What I found is that when I insert an image into the text of a blog post, it prints out html code for the image itself (full-size), as well a making the image a link to itself as well. The software did not use the smaller version specified in the skin (in my case, 420x300) at all. Ultimately that's what I am looking to do, and your post makes it sound like that's a built-in feature that should be working (and isn't).

I messed around with a thumbnail plugin and tried to get it to do the trick, but that didn't go so well. That's when I was poking around with the .evocache, but from what you're saying, I shouldn't even have to worry about doing that manually at all.

Thanks again,
--Andy

Edit:
I just realized how I got the 420x300 images to generate in the first place -- it was by "linking" them to the blog post, rather than just putting them into the middle of the text. Unfortunately we required the flexibility to insert images throughout the text, and linking them forced them to the top of the blog post.

In the absence of the ability to put a "linked" image at a discretionary location in the text, I may have to go back to the plugin I was using and simply use the 80x80 versions as the thumbnails, since those are going to be generated by anyone uploading an image via the uploader.

4 Nov 11, 2009 19:24

Yes, the thumbnails are only available when you link an image.

We have plans to be able to insert linked images anywhere in the post but it's not implemented yet.

5 Nov 11, 2009 21:40

Well, it took me a while, but I did a very small hack to getfile.php in the htsrv directory.

Where the file manager calls the thumbnail view...

$File->thumbnail( $size );

I inserted right below it...

$File->thumbnail( 'fit-400x320' );

...forcing it to create a 400x320 thumbnail as soon as the smaller thumbnail is first viewed/generated -- i.e. immediately after upload.

I modified the thumbnail plugin to hard-link to these 400x320 thumbnails, which fit our needs perfectly.

Thanks for the responses, it did actually set me in the right direction (or at least not to go down the wrong one).

Form is loading...