Recent Topics

1 Jun 30, 2010 21:01    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Forgive me as I am new to this product. I tried searching the knowledge-base and playing with it for a good hour and there is one thing that is kind of confusing to me:

When I add a new post, it doesn't allow me to select a page to put said post on. I'm not sure if I am not creating the page correctly, or if I am not creating the post correctly. The end result is that I am trying to create a blog site with multiple blog pages with multiple blog posts per page.

I went to the Pages tab and created a new page. It shows up with a new page with a single blog post. Ideally I want to add more posts to the new page.

Thanks!

3 Jun 30, 2010 21:54

Thanks...

I read the b2evolution article on categories and have added a category. I then changed my "page" article to the category as well as created a new post with the same category. The new post shows up on the home page and not under the page I created. Can you shed a little more light on this?

Regards.

4 Jun 30, 2010 22:54

rm2000 wrote:

Thanks...

I read the b2evolution article on categories and have added a category. I then changed my "page" article to the category as well as created a new post with the same category. The new post shows up on the home page and not under the page I created. Can you shed a little more light on this?

Regards.

pages and posts are totally different..

posts appear together under associated blog / category in a "post loop" while pages are stand-alone formats.Pages are better for static content like 'about me' etc.. you can categorize your according to your needs..

-b2evo-instance
--Blog -> Animal Blog
-----Category -> Big Cats
--------Sub-category -> Tigers
------------Sub-Sub-category -> African Tigers
-----------------------Post -> Javan Tigers
--------Sub-category -> Lion
-----Category -> Dogs
--------Sub-category -> Rotweillers
--------Sub-category -> Pitbulls
--Blog -> Plants
-----Category -> Trees
--------Sub-category -> Alpine Trees
-----Category -> Flowers

etc...

You can expand the hierarchy as much as you wish, in addition to those you can also make use of "tags" to further relate content

5 Jul 01, 2010 04:34

Ok, that makes sense -- but all of the posts will appear right on the physical home page, the main page, right? I saw you can filter (search) by category, but it seems as if you want to have multiple physical pages each with multiple posts then you have to create multiple blogs under a b2evo instance (like the plant and animal blogs you created). That behavior actually seems a little bizarre to me given other blogs I've used before...

Thanks for the insights.

6 Jul 01, 2010 09:45

rm2000 wrote:

Ok, that makes sense -- but all of the posts will appear right on the physical home page, the main page, right? I saw you can filter (search) by category, but it seems as if you want to have multiple physical pages each with multiple posts then you have to create multiple blogs under a b2evo instance (like the plant and animal blogs you created). That behavior actually seems a little bizarre to me given other blogs I've used before...

Thanks for the insights.

You can use manually created custom pages, like animals.php which will only show posts from animals category and trees.php etc.

To offer a precise solution we need precise information..I am just throwing off hypothetical ideas.

Btw, if all else fails, nothing is wrong with running multi blogs, fyi. b2evo runs perfectly smooth with hundreds of blogs under one instance

7 Jul 01, 2010 14:51

While I am really heavy into .NET development, a do know PHP really well, too, so if what you're talking about is custom code (manually created custom pages) then I am ok with that, too. Here would be the perfect scenario:

Page 1: Home Page
Page 2: Portfolio Page
Page 3: Projects Page
Page 4: Contacts Page

Page 4 would be a static page. The contacts page that came out of the box may work just as is, although I have to look at it some more.

Page 3 would be a page that contains multiple blog posts, a running blog of different projects I am working on. As updates come into place, I'd want to add a new blog entry

Page 2 would be a page that contains multiple blog posts, as new portfolio items are added I want to post it and allow comments

IDEALLY, page 1 would contain it's own blog, in other words, I can have a welcome post, and if there is a sitewide update i can post it, etc. AND I could also show blogs from the other pages. Maybe show the most recent protfolio and project blog posting on the home page as well. It would almost be an aggregation of what is going on at this site.

Thanks for the advice.

8 Jul 01, 2010 16:36

Setup 4 blogs, aggregate them as needed or use the linkblog widget ;)

¥

Form is loading...