Recent Topics

1 Oct 18, 2005 03:46    

I'm using b2evo for a professional discussion group on technical and medical issues.

I don't mind if everybody and their sister reads the blog - that'd be fine, really - but I want to limit comments to those who I approve.

How do I do this?

Thanks,

Leo S.

3 Oct 19, 2005 04:10

I have no idea what the response indicates.

This is a question posted in a forum.

There's been no PM, or private message, that I've sent.

I'll restate my question, and repost it in another area of this Support Forum.

Is it possible to keep all areas of the blog open to public view, but only able to be commented upon by signed in members?

Is it possible to defer comments from being posted until they are approved?

If this is the wrong part of the forum, please do me the favor of showing the URL which indicates the correct part of the forum.

Leo S.

4 Oct 19, 2005 07:23

You want comments by registered users only, so you want to moderate your comments. The link I provided points to a link that offers two methods of comment moderation, one of which is what you asked for. The first method is pretty much exactly what you want and is a pretty simple hack to implement. The second would allow anyone to comment but puts them in draft mode instead of going straight to published. For your purposes the first seems like the way you'll want to go.

The rest is a signature file line and has nothing to do with you personally. It appears on every single post I've made, until I change my sig file again. It's a long story, but basically I got really annoyed at someone who INSISTED that I answer his question privately, and that I was rude for not doing so.

5 Oct 19, 2005 11:05

Of course -

There it was.

Thank you for the explanation.

So,

I have followed instruction, perhaps with some misunderstanding of the process, and I have reached a cul-de-sac. Dead end..

The instruction (here:http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=5343) asked that I find the "skins/_feedback.php" and find the following code:

if( $disp_comment_form )
{ // We want to display the comments form:
if( $Item->can_comment() )
{ // User can leave a comment

I've gone to the folder with the name of the ski' - Just the "custom" at this point, until I learn a bit more.

I've found the "custom_feedback.php" file in the 'templates" section of the blog.

I've clicked on the file, and it opens a text area, with the following:

<?php
/**
* This is the template that displays the feedback for a post
* (comments, trackbak, pingback...)
* This file is not meant to be called directly.
* It is meant to be called by an include in the _main.php template.
* To display a feedback, you should call a stub AND pass the right parameters
* For example: /blogs/index.php?p=1&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
* Note: don't cod ethis URL by hand, use the template functions to generate it!
* b2evolution - {@link http://b2evolution.net/}
* Released under GNU GPL License - {@link http://b2evolution.net/about/license.html}
* @copyright (c)2003-2004 by Francois PLANQUE - {@link http://fplanque.net/}
* @package evoskins
* @subpackage custom
*/
if( !defined('DB_USER') ) die( 'Please, do not access this page directly.' );

/**
* We now call the default feedback handler...
* However you can replace this file with the full handler (in /blogs) and customize it!
*/
require get_path('skins').'/_feedback.php';
?>

right.

So, I assume I'm not there yet, b/c I can't find the appropriate text to replace.

I was not even able to find the correct file listed in the template section for the second suggested hack.

I am new to this, but happy to keep trying.

What's next, oh wise one?

Thanks,

Leo S.

6 Oct 19, 2005 11:31

You're one level too deep. As part of your folder structure you have a folder called "skins". Inside skins you have maybe a dozen files and a handful of other folders. One of those folders is called "custom", but each of those folders is a skin. Inside each of the skin-name folders you get another bunch of files, and maybe an img folder and maybe a css folder.

Basically b2evolution, after knowing what skin to display the blog in (and other stuff, but I'm simplifying) goes to skins/skinname/_main.php to figure out how to make the page. In your case skinname is 'custom', but it could be any skin you happen to be editing, so to type it up here people usually use 'skinname' or 'yourskin'. But I digress! Your skins/skinname/_main.php files says lots of stuff. One of the things it says is "if this is a single post page then lets use skins/skinname/_feedback.php - this is the file you opened. The very end of that file says "go use skins/_feedback.php", and that is the file you want to edit.

I call the one in the skinname folder the "decorator" and the one in the skins folder the "generator" because that's sort of what they do. You set a few variables in the decorator then call up the generator to do all the work. Note that in some skins people take the stuff from the generator and put it into the decorator file so they can customize how each little file does the job on a skin-specific basis. More than you need at this point probably.

The thing is that you won't be able to use the templates tab to edit the file you need to edit because that tab ONLY affects files in skins/custom/ folder. You will need to download skins/_feedback.php from your server and edit it, then upload it again.

7 Oct 19, 2005 18:51

Okay -

I will have to learn how to download files from the server.

My host server, I think.

I will talk to the tech people over there.

Thank you for your assistance!

There's always something new to learn - that's a good thing.

Leo S.

Form is loading...