Recent Topics

1 Oct 19, 2005 21:52    

I searched and could not find anything specific. Please point me in the right direction if this has been posted before.

I'd like to have the option to use tags to categorize my posts instead of having to create tons of categories. I found some plugins that would allow wordpress to do this but I really like b2 and don't want to take all the time it would to convert over.

Also I would want the tags to be able to be accesed via domain.com/tag/some_tag

2 Nov 18, 2005 12:08

As far as I know this isn't possible yet.

I'd say when Phoenix becomes mature and stable it might be quite easy to integrate this through a plugin.

For the moment: aren't tags just like categories? Simply don't use sub-categories and you should be done.?

3 May 09, 2006 17:07

blueyed wrote:

As far as I know this isn't possible yet.

I'd say when Phoenix becomes mature and stable it might be quite easy to integrate this through a plugin.

For the moment: aren't tags just like categories? Simply don't use sub-categories and you should be done.?

I'm thinking about writing a hack to do this more how delicious tagging works, just using the categories.

The main part of the hack would be in the write entry screen, the tags are editable.

Making it work like delicious would involve some complex javascriot and php, so that i can start typing categoris, if it already exists in my categories it would prompt me, and then add the post to that category if italready existed, if it didn't exist it would add a category and add it to that...

Anyone seen more information or attempts to make this work?

4 May 10, 2006 13:50

I've seen this talked about a few times, but can you explain what the difference between tags and categories are. :-/

5 May 10, 2006 14:27

balupton wrote:

I've seen this talked about a few times, but can you explain what the difference between tags and categories are. :-/

There is really no difference apart from the name.

But what i want to do is make the categories work more like tags, that are a little bit more flexible, at least from my point of view.

For example while writing a post, you can easily add categories, without going to the categories section. You could write 10 categories, if 2 of them existed the post would be added to those 2, then the ones that don't exist would be created and the post also added to those.

It's really just a question of functionality.

Tags already have a kind of defined functionality (in internet speak) which for my purposes is much more useful than the categories as they are now.

6 May 10, 2006 15:15

I think it's a bit like flickr tags work.
You post an article, and every word you think about, you can put as a tag.

I 'think' it is realy only categories on the fly but also cross-blog

7 May 10, 2006 15:21

Categories on the fly was the same that hit my mind as well.

So will your hack be replacing the category system or just adding a feature to add categories in the your 'write post' page...

I think that just typing categories and then doing a search and add them if their not there is not the best of ideas. As you will probably end up with a pretty messy category system. And you will loose hierarchy of categories.

But yer being able to add categories in the 'write post' page would be pretty good.

Form is loading...