Recent Topics

1 Oct 21, 2005 01:55    

I have a couple of questions,

1. Where is the file to edit the footer information on b2edit.php and b2browse.php? I have edited the _footer.php file and that is not it. If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it.

2. How can I create urls that are easy for the users to distribute and have like on the sides of their pages for easy reference? Something like
/site/blogs/myblog.php? I have read a lot in the forums and the matter is still confusing to me. Do I actually have to create files in the cpanel for this? And rename them?

3. With the creation of new blogs in the admin section, which blog is being used to auto create them? A, or B?

Any help on these questions would be greatly appreciated.

-Cara

2 Oct 22, 2005 08:50

Can I get some help here?

3 Oct 22, 2005 09:31

1. The footer content of all the pages in the back office comes from admin/_footer.php (or maybe there's no underscore - dunno right now).

2. AFAIK cpanel has nothing to do with it, but it depends on what you mean. Basically, if you add something to your linkblog and have a linkblog displayed then the url is easily copy/pasted to a different utility. I think I'm missing what you're driving at though.

3. Creating a new blog doesn't use an existing blog as a template: it uses the default configuration for new blogs (which is neither A or B). Create one and you'll see that you have the opportunity to fill in all the fields that make a blog happen.

4 Oct 23, 2005 01:01

I have read several posts on linkblogs, but I have NO idea what it is still from the messages I have read. Can you either link me to what it is or tell me it's purpose in relation to the blogs that I have on the site currently? Right now the links for the blogs are like "?/blog=12?" or something like that. I just want the blog links to be easier if someone in the blogging community wants to give their blog link out. Like on myspace.com you can give someone direct access to your blog by linking them to www.myspace.com/myuniqueblogname that's what I want my bloggers to be able to do. So what is it that I have to do to make that happen and what do linkblogs have to do with that process? Aside from that, if I need to, how do I create one?

I'll check the admin/_footer file, but I'm sure I've edited that and it's still showing it on the bottom of those two pages only. It's not showing in the admin panel but it's showing on those two pages specifically.

5 Oct 23, 2005 02:41

What you're looking for (www.yoursite.com/myuniqueblogname) is accomplished using stub files in b2e. You basically find the a_stub.php file found in your base installation directory, make a copy of it and rename it to the name you want (in the example above, you would make "myuinqueblogname.php"). Open the newly named file in an editor and set the blog id (so it opens the correct posts) and the skin name and there are some other options you can fiddle with there. Make sure you upload that file to your server's b2e base directory (the same place you found the a_stub.php file). Almost finally, in the back office, under the Blogs tab, choose the blog you want to use with your new stub file and set the access type to be "Other blog through stub file". Lastly, in the "URL blog name / Stub name" field, type the name of your new stubfile (without the .php extension). That should do it, unless I forgot a step somewhere. If all goes well you will then be able to go to the url above and your blog will appear.

Linkblogs have nothing to do with people linking to your site or getting to your site. Simply put, a linkblog is a way to put dynamic content into your sidebar without having to edit your skin to put it there. Or, to put it even simpler, a linkblog is a second blog that goes into your sidebar. This makes a convenient way to add links (thus the name) and other stuff to your sidebar without having to edit your skin.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask more if it doesn't.

6 Oct 23, 2005 12:15

I've already edited the _footer and _header files to reflect the site. It hasn't changed the b2edit file to reflect the same. I believe the _footer and _header files are for the admin interface, not the b2edit file or the other file which is where you login. I think it's possible that the header and footer information for those pages must be in the database, because I've gone through ALL of the other b2evo pages. Since this is a problem for me... I thought of an alternative. Is there a way to put the login boxes on the front page of my main blog? That would solve the problem of people not knowing where to login at as well. They keep emailing asking for the url. If I put the login boxes on the front page, what code would I have to use to get them into the admin section?

Thanks Nate for the clear explanation of linkblogs and how I could create easier urls. That really explained a lot for me. Ed, your explanation of the default blogs helped as well. My site is set up like this

folder/blogs/ I have existing blogs in there now, but if I want the site to be setup as www.myurl.com/blogs how do I move those existing blogs w/o disrupting something? Is that possible? And will I lose things in the database?

7 Oct 23, 2005 16:29

I imagine you could put the login form on your main blog page, just view the source of the login page and copy/paste the relevant form code to your skin's _main.php file....I'm sure it would take a bit of tweaking after that to get it to work but it should be possible.

However, most skins have a "Login" link on the sidebar which automatically takes you to the login page. Your users don't need to know the url for the login page, they just need to click that link.

8 Oct 24, 2005 04:47

I understand that they don't need the url to login. My problem is not realli giving out the link. The problem is that I can not find the source code in the login page to get rid of the b2evo footer, header and the LINK to b2evo. I would like to be able to have the login portion of the site on the front page. Is there nowhere in the forums that this has been requested? I've searched for it but I haven't come up with anything.

9 Oct 24, 2005 05:19

I see it in the /htsrv directory in the _header.php file. The _footer.php file in that directory is probably also something you're after. Note: it's the /htsrv directory, not the /admin directory.

Hope that helps.

By the way, if this really is what you're looking for, I highly recommend getting a desktop search program such as Copernic. Just by searching for "b2evolution_minilogo.png" in my files it was pretty easy to track down. And if this isn't what you're after forget I said anything about it. :D

10 Oct 25, 2005 00:45

I could E-Kiss you, Nate! Thank you SO much! :D

Form is loading...