Recent Topics

1 Oct 22, 2005 05:30    

I am presently creating a blog site. succesfully installed a blog through fantastico. getting started to build my site is hard for me because I was never a blog user. Its just that I am beginning to learn and implement it at the same time.

After sign in, it brings me to a default page:
Welcome to b2evolution
Individual blogs on this system:
Blog #2: Blog A Title
Blog #3: Blog B Title
Blog #4: Link Blog Title (links)
Blog #1: blah blah

Is this the page my visitors are going to see (index page)

I just want simple things, my website is all about security, Antivirus, Firewall etc...Now what am I going to do with BlogA and BlogB? Are these the general link? below this general links are categories? Can I still have Blog C Title, Blog D Title and so on...

What about the home page, is it the Blog #1 or Blog All?

Thanks in advance.

2 Oct 22, 2005 07:56

Log in and go to your blogs tab then select the blog you want to be your main page. Now select the option for "default blog on index". That will make one particular blog be the first page the visitor sees.

You can have hundreds of blogs if you want, and the text for each blog that comes with your installation is completely changable. You can delete them or simply rename them. Same with categories: rename them or just delete them.

In general you don't want to use blog #1 as your primary blog. It's a weirdo in that every post in every blog shows up in blog #1. Until you get a handle on the overall way b2evolution works it's best to stay away from using blog #1 as a blog.

BTW you've probably got an old version with a serious need for patching. That's the drawback to Fantastico: it gives you what IT thinks is the latest, but it doesn't automatically check b2evolution for updates. I suggest you download the "dawn" release from the downloads section (linked above), and delete ALL the files fantastico installed for you, then upload the dawn package. The only file fantastico made for you that you will need is conf/_config.php because it has your database connection data.

Also make sure you don't have an install folder anymore. My Fantastico used to delete it but doesn't anymore.

3 Oct 24, 2005 03:42

thank edb, so what am I going to do with blog#1? blog#2? sorry for my ignorance? what was the usual setting for this?

4 Oct 24, 2005 05:23

It's best to leave blog#1 alone. The other blogs can freely be edited, left alone, deleted...whatever works for you. It's probably a good idea to keep them around for awhile while you feel yourself around. Just understand that blog#2 and higher are all the same. Only #1 is weird.

And just to confuse things, you can make any of the #2 or higher blogs into "Linkblogs" which can then be inserted into the sidebar of any of your other blogs. (Sorry if this doesn't help you.)

5 Oct 24, 2005 07:16

nate, every information helps, thanks. however what was usually the title of blog 1 or 2? Was it just renamed? Can you give me blog site, that I can view as a sample of this blog1 or 2 renamed?

6 Oct 24, 2005 15:15

You can rename the blogs in the back office. I think when you first install they're called Blog All and Blog A or Blog B. Go to the "Blogs" tab and click on the blog you want to rename. You will see a form where you can set the name and other aspects of that particular blog.

You can visit a website I'm overseeing at http://www.loganelementary.com. The main page was originally blog#2.

Form is loading...