Recent Topics

1 Nov 04, 2005 03:15    

Hi. I just started to set up a blog feature today for my web site, My Golf Domain.com. Everything is running fine...I just have a few concerns/questions to start with.

I wanted to make sure that I can legally use b2evolution on my site. I intend to have the blog posting feature only available by paid membership. So, I wanted to make sure that there are no licensing issues with using b2evolution with a "pay membership" site.

I'm not sure how the blog posting is supposed to work. From what I can tell, the user has to use the Admin functions to post blog entries. I expected an "add entry" link directly on the blog page and that it uses the current skin. When I posted a couple of blog entries I had to use the admin functions and couldn't even go back to the blog page I was working on very easily....and even then it was the wrong skin. I'm hoping that there is an easier way for people to make blog entries, otherwise, I might look for other blog software. I have been using the Custom skin which I modified to integrate with the site. Maybe it was just an issue with this skin.

The "all blogs" "blog" is not showing the author for blog entries, so there is no way to tell who wrote the entry without doing something like entering a comment. This is with the Custom skin.

When making a blog entry (Write in admin function) there doesn't seem to be any WYSIWYG functions (font styles, smilies, images displayed when editing, etc.) like there is with forums software when entering a thread for example. I was hoping that the entry would be something more like this forum software and be directly integrated with the blog page/skin.

Click [url=http://www.mygolfdomain.com/blogs/index.php?blog=1]here[/url] to see how I am currently using b2evolution. I am working on this site. It has not been "published" yet.

Anyway, I would appreciate the help in getting me started. I just started on everything (downloaded b2) today. I will do some searching here, too.

Thanks!

:D

2 Nov 04, 2005 10:44

You can use the software for whatever you want, it's free software not just as in free of charge, but as in freedom to do whatever you want with it. Here's just two points that will mean you keep everyone happy - 1) Keep a link back to b2evoultion.net on every page that uses b2evo and (this is just a suggestion) 2) donate some of the profits you make from the software back to the project.

3 Nov 04, 2005 18:09

I will not remove the b2evolution image/link from the blog content. I also left credit for the skin I am using even though it has been changed and I will probably change it more.

I have been working on the site for well over a year and it has only cost me a great deal of time and money so far. Regardless, if I continue to use b2evolution I will make a donation to the project.

The editing functionality is disappointing so far. There should be a very simple way of adding a blog entry without using the admin functionality at all. This would be similar to how comments are entered. The blog is not really for me...I am just one of the users. Each member will have their own blog. Almost all will be completely new to blogging like me. It should be easier to use.

Other than blog entry everything seems to be well designed and works great. A tightly integrated WYSIWYG editor with the blog page itself (using current skin) would be a huge improvement. Basically, it would be like the editor I am using now here in the forums and when you save the entry it would immediately display the blog page with the new entry shown first.

Anyway, I think b2evolution is a great product overall. The entry/editing issue seems to apply to other blog software also.

4 Nov 04, 2005 18:21

Have you looked at the sidebar? Quite a lot of new users feel happier with this. Look at the tools section of your install.

5 Nov 04, 2005 18:39

I get this error when clicking the b2evo sidebar link in Tools:

"Since this blog has no categories, you cannot post to it. You must create categories first. "

This is for my blog that has 4 categories. I have also seen this error sometimes when trying to add an entry.

What does this tool do? Is this a blog entry alternative?

6 Nov 04, 2005 18:51

I've no idea why it's not working. It's a doobery that pops up in the sidebar of your browser and allows you to post from within your browser without having to go to the backoffice.

Form is loading...