Recent Topics

1 Dec 26, 2005 21:04    

First of all,

Thank you for this excellent job, and I hope I am posting in the right place. I spent about 2 hours getting a MySQL database set up to receive data from B2's setup script and the blog itself. I consider this my worry, not yours.

I FTP'd the whole mess to the server, ran the script and within 15 minutes was writing my first post! Magnifique!

I have been programming for webservers and databases for the last ten years, and in my experience when someone says, "just run the script and you're ready!" it generally yields about the same results as "One size fits all! in how women's panty-hose look. But your install really worked, thank you :!:

I am playing catch-up in that my ten years has been 99% ASP on Micro$not servers. PHP is new to me and while I fancy myself a "quick study" something as complicated as the works of a blog will take some time.

I am using Ver. 1.6.
My default skin is a "tweaked" version of SmoothCurrency. (as I do know CSS, it was one place I could begin toying with things.)

One thing the post editor does not have, as far as I can discover, is the ability to add color. While not one to want to clutter up the text with wild displays of color, I have become accustomed to using three levels of emphasis on my blog.
Level one: plain text
Level two: Bold text
Level three: Bold text in an alternate color.

In time, hopefully I can contribute a bit more than this but...
In keeping with a bit of "Pay it forward", let me share how I got this going on [url=http://fredsitelive.com/blogs]My Site[/url] and then ask a question.

In the main CSS file, SmoothCurrency.css, I made an entry like this:

p strong em {
font-family: georgia, verdana, sans-serif;
font-size:12px;
color:#800000;
line-height:18px;
text-align:justify;
}

And it works like a charm! Now "strong" and "em" work just as before. If I want text that is bold and italicized I click EM immediately followed by STRONG.

What's different is, if I click STRONG and then EM I get bold, italicized text in a dark red color. Three levels achieved with minimal messing with the CSS and no fiddling where I don't belong yet, the PHP files.
Hope this is of help to someone.

My question:
The blog is on a linux machine using php, naturally. the hosting company located their MySQL on a separate server from the actual websites. But I get a vast difference between "view mode" and "admin mode". in View mode my site comes blasting in just like "fixed pages". You can't really tell it is database generated at all.

In admin things are painfull. I have watched both my processor time and my DSL's bandwidth meter during these times, and my processor never went above 15%; my bandwidth meter never got off the bottom of the chart. From this I am sure that the delay is "server side", but with such fast access times on the view side, I doubt if it their end of things. Now granted I don't know much of the workings of this but here are some admin times I got just this morning:

Switching from:
Users & Grps Tab to Blogs Tab: 2 min.
Write Tab to the Blogs tab: 52 sec.
Blogs Tab to Users Tab: 31 sec.
Browse to Editing a post: 14 sec.
(and then a few min later the same action)
Browse to Editing a post: 50 sec.

Is there some setting I've missed, or is the "back room" work on the Admin side really this heavy? I am also brand new to the inner workings of the web server, though I know I'm using Apache 1.3.31

If there is a clue to be had I'd appreciate it, as this sure makes tweaking the blog's behavior a long process.

Fred

2 Dec 27, 2005 00:34

That's a nice job you've done with the skin, and a cool trick with the CSS! I think it'd be hard to share the gimmick with a bunch of bloggers, but for a uniblogger knowing 'A inside B gives effect N' but 'B inside A gives effect Y' is pretty trick.

I've no idea why your admin pages would take so freakin' long to switch from one tab to the next. I had a 1.6 running without that problem. I currently have 1.6+CVS and still don't see that problem.

Mostly just wanted to say cool skin and cool trick ;)

3 Dec 27, 2005 14:40

EdB;
Thanks a lot. I appreciate the compliment. I still have a few odd bits of text I need to run down, to make consistent in size, etc with the rest, but should have it soon.

I've thought about it some more, and here are some other bits of info. I am using this same BB software, phpBB, and created it's tables on the same MySQL server that the blog is using. I see no long delays when the admin or reg. side of that makes a trip to the server.

Also once I am in Write/Edit mode on B2, even with a large post, preview is very fast and saving is never more than 2-3 seconds. "Blip!" done! So B2 isn't having problems writing to the server.

I did a search here before posting this. there was one thread where the person mentioned the same thing, and was asked to try and get some timing info from the apache server. Unless it dawns on someone what this is, I will see if I can't find that thread again and collect that data if I can.

Thanx again,
Fred

Form is loading...