Recent Topics

1 Jan 06, 2006 23:43    

Hi

I'm intending to begin using b2evolution soon.
I have a few questions though:

I'm aware that b2evolution supports multiple blogs.
I was wondering if posts can be transferred from one blog to another?
Would this require some additional php code?
Would it be possible to do it manually by editing databases?

Would really appreciate any help / suggestions.

Best,
Ivan

2 Jan 07, 2006 00:00

Yes, but it's not automagically enabled. You have to edit a file to do it - a very simple edit where you change a parameter that deals with cross posting. By default your blog will install with "cross posting in multiple categories" enabled. The same parameter allows 4 options.

• only post in one cat in one blog

• post in multiple cats in one blog

• post in multiple cats in multiple blogs

• move cats from one blog to a different blog[/list:u]

• The last is the one you'd be looking at, and it's kinda a little bit confusing how it works. It'll be in your conf/_config.php file, but it won't matter if you don't decide to use b2evolution. Are you a smart person? The only reason I ask is that only smart people choose to use b2evolution, so if you're a dummy you'll pick something more suited to dummies ;) Oh and yeah: you can do it by tweaking your database instead, but it's not required to reach the end result. For the record: even though you as a blogger will put a post in a blog and then a category the database will see that each post in is a category and therefore a blog. Subtle difference, but understanding the difference helps understand how the whole thing works. Smart people get it... Hmm... wait a minute... To move ONE post from one blog to another can probably be done with the third option (which will be value 2 in the file). You will then simply edit your post and make it's main category be something in a different blog.

3 Jan 07, 2006 22:54

EdB, thanks very much for your response.

So basically what you're saying is that it's possible to transfer all posts in a particular category to another blog? Not really sure even what a category is with regards to blogging :( Does the user create these, and then choose one when posting?

My ultimate goal in all of this, fyi, is to have several blogs (one for each user) and then a "Central Blog".I want to be able to hand-pick posts from each users blog and transfer them to the "Central Blog".

Btw, I would consider myself to be somewhat smart & I enjoy tinkering around with configuration files and scripts etc., so b2evolution sounds right for me.

Let me know if you think of anything else that might be useful.

Best,
Ivan

4 Jan 08, 2006 02:54

When each blogger subscribes you'll have to give them a blog. You can decide if they get permission to create their own categories or not, and categories is just a way to dial in the focus of a post. For example a blog about sailing might have individual blogs for different types of sailboats, and each blog can then have several categories that would capture the overall flavor of each post.

So you want to hand-pick selected goodies for the uber-blog eh? DO NOT use blog #1 for anything because it aggregates all posts from all blogs. Instead you'll have to cheat a bit. First off, allow your bloggers to post in multiple posts in one blog. Next (and this is where you'd have to hack or cheat) allow yourself to post in multiple categories in multiple blogs. Now when BillyBob posts a really cool post in the (for example) catamaran blog and assigns it to his "nekid ladies" and "photos" categories YOU can go in and add a category to the post that happens to be in your uber-blog. Now, because the post is in a category assigned to your uber-blog it'll show up there even though BillyBob never put it there. It still shows up in BillyBob's blog of course.

Make sense? Probably not, but do an installation and make up a couple of users to see how the admin can give and take permissions, then what each blogger can and can't do based on what the admin says.

The blogger writes a post in a blog and picks categories. The database spits out posts in categories in blogs. Kinda not exactly the same, but it all works out in the end. Tinker with an install and ask more when you've got a wee bit of experience with it.

5 Dec 26, 2007 09:11

I used B2E with 2 blogs for some months then I stopped to use it. Now I started again posting the messages in one of the two existing blogs, but I realized that it would be useful to add a new blog and to transfer some of the posted message to the new one. How can I do that? Is it possible to that from the admin panel or changing something in the database?

Thanks a lot.

Nino

Form is loading...