Recent Topics

1 Feb 16, 2006 18:41    

Hello,
I'm trying to create a very secure c&v medium.
Here's what I want to happen:
Secure and private: Only registered users can post or even see the blog.
(i.e login before someone can even see the blog) (htaccess, but does b2 have something within it to accomplish this)
The registered users are dictated (or approved) by
the admin(this is an elitist site, I only want employees
see)
Categories: A predominant function of the site will be to share project information, mock ups, and jpegs/gifs of project. Can Categories be set up as say Project #1, and then when project 1 is done just deleted lock, stock and barrel without effecting the blogs for project #2 or #20?

Pictures: One reason we are looking into using blogs is because of their picture posting interface (ie. designers aren't necessarily brilliant at ftp or even html). Is there a way to broaden the allowed file extensions for pictures?

I'm as close as we have to a programmer but my degree in Anthropology means I am not a Good programmer :)

Info: B2 .0.6.2
MYSQL 3.23.58
Apache server

Any other questions I'm sure to come up with, but if you need more clarification on points feel free to ask, and thanks for your time in reading my "massive" :oops: post

2 Feb 16, 2006 19:15

First things first: b2 is long dead. b2evolution is based on b2, but is NOT b2. Version 0.6.2 sounds like the end of the line for b2, so get hip and get b2evolution version 0.9.1 (or the 1.6 release if you're into using an alpha release).

b2evolution can pretty much do what you want, with a few very simple tweaks to the code. VERY simple. Simply make the default status for posts be 'protected', then don't give anyone or any group permission to post 'public'. Now only registered members will be able to see posts, but only posts in blogs they are a member of.

Make blog 2 (not 1 - you can't use blog 1 like other blogs) be project 1. You can have as many categories and sub-categories as you like. Give all appropriate parties permission to post protected in blog 2. When project 1 is wrapped up simply remove everyone's permission to post in that blog. Don't make them not be members so they can refer to content in that blog as need be - just take away posting permissions.

Repeat until project 20 is using blog 21.

Live long.

Prosper.

3 Feb 16, 2006 19:59

Thanks,
I'll look into getting the bigger and better evolution.

4 Feb 17, 2006 17:37

Ok,
I have installed b2evolution,
I've played around with it and set up the basics....

Now to permissions.
I'm still trying to set up a secure HIDDEN site.
I don't want a blogall, I don't want anybody to see ANYTHING in the blog until they are logged on.

How do I get rid of the "default blog" on the index.php page.
If I create a static html splash page that just leads to the login prompt I can get some of the way, but if anyone knows to add index.php well they are looking at the current default weblog (which is my project page) (would creating a stub file be the right direction?)

More questions to come.... ;)

5 Feb 17, 2006 18:53

Search and you'll find most stuff already covered. For example you CAN NOT get rid of blog #1, and no one can see a protected post if they are not logged in. Doesn't matter if you use a stub file or not: no one sees protected posts in any blog (including blog #1) unless they are both logged in and a member of the blog the protected post is in.

6 Feb 17, 2006 19:06

What can I edit to make "protected" status on the post the default.
(or can I just edit and remove all the other choices?)

7 Feb 17, 2006 19:50

In conf/_admin.php find "$default_post_status" and you'll see it is set to 'published'. Change it to 'protected', and make sure none of your groups or users (depending on version) have permission to post 'published'.

8 Feb 17, 2006 21:12

Edb,
Thank you so much for the hand holding. Found the admin stuff.

Now the next question (which is allowing me to HEAR gray hairs poking out of my skull!)

Pictures.
I can upload them just fine. I can't see them in the blog. (no error message, no place holder, nothing) when I check the source code the correct url is there "img src=../blog/media/sample.jpg" in correct context and format.
the /media folder is set to 766
one of the files inside I set to 777

I have applied the changes recommended in
http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=1132&highlight=upload+permission
(editing the b2upload.php)
I have edited the b2upload.php to accept files up to 1500 KB and included the .bmp format.
I have changed permissions from 766 to 777 all the way down from the root directory of my blog to the media file themselves.

Ahhh the joys of self-inflicted problems... lol

9 Feb 17, 2006 21:34

ok,
in Internet Explorer I get the place holder. (no picture but a marked off area showing where the picture should be)
In Mozilla firefox I can only get the alternate name to appear (no place holder etc)

10 Feb 17, 2006 21:36

What version of b2evolution are you using?

Form is loading...