Recent Topics

1 Mar 21, 2006 03:13    

I stumbled into b2evolution through my web host (Apollo hosting) last week, and am amazed at how quickly I was able to get a blog up and running. Many thanks to the developers of this excellent software! I’m still trying to figure out how to build a custom skin so it better integrates with my overall site, but as an engine for getting content out b2evolution is working great.

I’m using the blog for essays on photography and photographic technique. In the past I set up essays as HTML pages that were just part of my overall website. I’m planning to migrate my old HTML essay pages to b2evolution as posts, but since they are old I don’t want them to appear at the top of the entries. It looks like I can edit the date and post them so they are back in the archives right off (I did that with one earlier this evening). Two questions –

First - is there any problems with dumping material in that is post-dated? I plan to date all this old stuff 1/1/2006 so it’s lumped together before the actual start of the blog.

Second - is the URL for each b2evolution post static? I get a fair amount of direct links to some the HTML essay pages, and would like to just re-direct those requests to the essay in b2evolution.

TIA –

MCC

2 Mar 21, 2006 04:12

Congrats on choosing b2evo. It sounds like a good choice for your site.

Regarding your questions:

1) Adding older entries - No problem here. Simply add the entry you want and modify the entry date in the back office (either the write or edit tabs). Why put the old stuff all on one date? Why not put each to the date it should be? (You could use the file date in as the "old date", which is probably the only date reference you have).

2) The URL for each entry is permanent, BUT it behooves you to select a method that works best. The "default" installation of b2evolution makes the "permalink" (permanent link to each entry) in the form of http://yoursite.com/index.php?title=post_title&c=1&tb=1&pb=1&more=1 (which is kind of ugly). In the back office, under the "Settings" -> "General" tab, you can change this to "nicer looking" Links, by checking "Use extra-path info" (then selecting the permalink type you prefer, though the first one "by URL title" is recommended and it's what we use). It'll turn that link above to - http://yoursite.com/index.php/2006/MO/DA/post_title (or something close)

NOW ... you'll have PERMANENT links to EACH entry (and they'll look dashing too).

Note - the nice URLs don't work so nice on Windows Hosts, so make sure your hosting service uses a Linus/Unix O/S, instead.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

3 Mar 21, 2006 05:08

Thanks for the info - as long as the URL is static I should be fine. I just now tried enabling the "Use Extra Path Info" option, but it did not work with any of the permalink options (just resulted in a 'file not found" error when I tried to click into the archives.) So I assume my server does not support it.

As for the dates - checking the file date stamp is a good suggestion, though I thought it might be more convenient to lump all this material together. There's only a handful of eassys but some go back a ways - I assume there's no limit on how far back the post can be back dated? At least one of these goes back to 1997. :-)

Thanks again!

- MCC

4 Mar 21, 2006 05:32

Great photos ... my kind of subject matter. You got me beat by two years. ;)

Ummm ... there is no limit to back dating, that I am aware. I was actually entertaining the idea of a compendium of entries, back to pre-JFK days and didn't worry for one minute that b2evo wouldn't be able to handle it. (Not that I've TRIED yet, though).

Computer start date is 1970 (programming often uses this as 000), so I'm not sure if backdating BEFORE that would be a problem, but certainly, 1997 is well after that, so no worries.

Too bad about the Extra Path Info, it really does make better looking and shorter URLs, but no matter ... the others are just as valid, just as permanent.

Cheers,

5 Mar 22, 2006 00:29

Thanks again! Looks like I can go all the way back to the original dates.

Form is loading...