Recent Topics

1 May 07, 2006 23:31    

I relied heavily on the antispam list. I have a few hacks applied that helped, but I don't really understand what they do other than that they seem to make the spam easier to get rid of.

Since the antispam list is gone, I have to go find it on my own to add it to the local blacklist. No big deal, other than it is a pain. My biggest problem is comment spam. I get an email sometimes when comments get posted, but not all the time. The only way I have found to check is to use phpmyadmin to browse the comment table then group together as many as I can with one word to the blacklist, then repeat.

Is there an easier way to do this or a better place to look than the table itself?

2 May 08, 2006 01:51

There is the "latest comments" bit. If your skin doesn't have it you can easily snag it from the custom skin. It'll be a file called _lastcomments.php in both your skins folder and your skins/skinname folder. You MIGHT have to look inside skins/custom/_main.php for a bit of code that makes _main understand how to display the latest comments.

<?php // ---------------- START OF INCLUDES FOR LAST COMMENTS, STATS ETC. ----------------
	switch( $disp )
	{
		case 'comments':
			// this includes the last comments if requested:
			require( dirname(__FILE__).'/_lastcomments.php' );
			break;

case 'arcdir':
			// this includes the archive directory if requested
			require( dirname(__FILE__).'/_arcdir.php');
			break;

case 'profile':
			// this includes the profile form if requested
			require( dirname(__FILE__).'/_profile.php');
			break;
	}
// ------------------- END OF INCLUDES FOR LAST COMMENTS, STATS ETC. ------------------- ?>

You don't have to include the link on your page if you don't want to. Just know that "domainname.tld/blog/index.php?disp=comments" will get you to that page. You could go there once and bookmark it for your own convenience.

Also in your skins/_lastcomments.php file you can change a parameter to show as many comments as you want.

$CommentList = & new CommentList( $blog, "'comment','trackback','pingback'", $show_statuses, '',	'',	'DESC',	'',	20 );

Just change the 20 to maybe 100 to see lots of posts if you get hit by lots of comment spam.

BTW that is one of the biggest changes regarding antispam in the phoenix generation: it scans comment text looking for bad words. In phoenix you can ban an entire sentence if you happen to see the same exact content in many different comments.

3 May 08, 2006 03:31

hmmm. then maybe i DO want to just go to phoenix. decisions decisions.

Form is loading...