Recent Topics

1 Jan 26, 2023 17:25    

Hello,

I've inherited a php forum with a blog. The forum stopped working a couple years ago with a major php update. The previous owner got the forum back online but that was about it. I've since updated php again and fixed/updated the forum.

Before I get too deep into the weeds: In the event that I can't update/resurrect this blog: is there at least any way to retrieve text and/or images from it? I'm more concerned with at least being able to save the content of some excellent posts and I'm not as concerned about resurrecting the old blog exactly as it was.

They had a blog setup and after a bit of digging found that it was a b2evolution blog. I'm not sure if I have the version right, but I checked the admin.php file and this is what it says:

* This is b2evolution's admin config file
* This sets how the back-office works
* Last significant changes to this file: version 0.9.0.10

--Is it possible to do a manual upgrade and get this thing going again?

--If it's too old to simply upgrade, what are my options-if any?

thank you for any help

2 Jan 26, 2023 18:04

I should mention that I've looked through the documentation and, for example, there is no "install.php" file located anywhere in the folder structures.

Also, I have no idea where the "admin interface" for b2evo is located. It doesn't show as an installed application in cpanel so I don't know where or how to access the "back office".

As such a lot of the documentation does me no good because it doesn't provide the missing context.

3 Jan 26, 2023 18:17

You have a few options.

• Use an older php that was current when that version was 'working'
  • save the database, maybe via phpMyAdmin etc.
  • create a new instance and import the database

Also, I have no idea where the "admin interface" for b2evo is located. It doesn't show as an installed application in cpanel so I don't know where or how to access the "back office".

For this you will need the original user name and password, or you will have to reset it via phpMyAdmin etc. /login.php

You can overwrite the whole blog folder. The oldest available and in some senses safest is
https://b2evolution.net/downloads/3-x-series/

Then enable php5.* on your server for best compatability

4 Jan 26, 2023 19:00

@amoun wrote earlier:

You have a few options.

• Use an older php that was current when that version was 'working'
  • save the database, maybe via phpMyAdmin etc.
  • create a new instance and import the database

>Also, I have no idea where the "admin interface" for b2evo is located. It doesn't show as an installed application in cpanel so I don't know where or how to access the "back office".

For this you will need the original user name and password, or you will have to reset it via phpMyAdmin etc. /login.php

You can overwrite the whole blog folder. The oldest available and in some senses safest is
https://b2evolution.net/downloads/3-x-series/

Then enable php5.* on your server for best compatability

In the meantime, I have backed up all the databases as well as the file structure.

I then installed the new version of b2evolution to a new folder "blog2". I can log into this new version.

According to your suggestion above to import the database.. do you think I can go ahead and try that now? Or are there additional steps I'm missing?

I apologize for being a complete noob to this.

5 Jan 26, 2023 19:37

I got into the myphpadmin and imported the SQL file from a previous export of the blog in question.

I set up a new blank blog at the new url "blog2"

None of the old posts or content show up at the new url but when I look in the database that I imported, I see the old posts under evo_posts.

So I know the content is there but I'm just not sure how to get the new blog to use it.

Without knowing much about databases or php for that matter, I feel like I'm really close to getting this working. The new database name was autogenerated and different from the old one. Not sure if that's the issue or what it might be. Just seems like there's probably something easy left to get it connected and working that I'm just not aware of.

6 Jan 26, 2023 21:31

The new database name was autogenerated and different from the old one. Not sure if that's the issue or what it might be.

The new database will have a new user and password.
Did you import the old database to the new one via phpMyAdmin

Sorry speak tomorrow maybe I'm drinking Fairtrade organic rum with a 'friend'? :)

7 Jan 26, 2023 21:42

@amoun wrote earlier:

The new database name was autogenerated and different from the old one. Not sure if that's the issue or what it might be.

The new database will have a new user and password.
Did you import the old database to the new one via phpMyAdmin

Sorry speak tomorrow maybe I'm drinking Fairtrade organic rum with a 'friend'? :)

Yes, I imported the old database into the new one. But the new blog is still blank, despite the fact that I can see the old posts inside the database structure within phpmyadmin.

I greatly appreciate any suggestions/help you can provide.

8 Jan 26, 2023 21:45

It looks like all the records in the old structure start out "evo_xxx" whereas the new database records are "evovd_xxx".

So I'm wondering if they need to be renamed or something?

9 Jan 26, 2023 23:05

I still have the new "blog2" test live but didn't want to start trying to rename stuff all willy nilly.

so

I went into it a different way this time and downloaded the latest version from this site, then uploaded it to the original broken blog URL (after backing up the folder and myphp database).

I opened the install/admin.php file and see this message:

"ERROR: Impossible to connect to Database.
Check your database config settings below and update them if necessary..."

But I have checked and confirmed the credentials are correct.

10 Jan 26, 2023 23:24

UPDATE:

I discovered that the user account I was using didn't have full permission to the database. So I created a new database/user and imported the old one. Once I reconfigured the _basic_config.php file, I was able to move on to the next step and choose upgrade from the radio button options. Currently upgrading, we'll see how this goes.

11 Jan 26, 2023 23:27

UPDATE 2:

Unexpected error:

"" wrote:

MySQL error!

Duplicate entry 'stub' for key 'blog_stub'(Errno=1062)

Your query:

ALTER TABLE evo_blogs

MODIFY COLUMN blog_ID int(11) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,

MODIFY COLUMN blog_links_blog_ID INT(11) NULL DEFAULT NULL,

CHANGE COLUMN blog_stub blog_urlname VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'urlname',

ADD COLUMN blog_allowcomments VARCHAR(20) NOT NULL default 'post_by_post' AFTER blog_keywords,

ADD COLUMN blog_allowblogcss TINYINT(1) NOT NULL default 1 AFTER blog_allowpingbacks,

ADD COLUMN blog_allowusercss TINYINT(1) NOT NULL default 1 AFTER blog_allowblogcss,

ADD COLUMN blog_stub VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'stub' AFTER blog_staticfilename,

ADD COLUMN blog_commentsexpire INT(4) NOT NULL DEFAULT 0 AFTER blog_links_blog_ID,

ADD COLUMN blog_media_location ENUM( 'default', 'subdir', 'custom', 'none' ) DEFAULT 'default' NOT NULL AFTER blog_commentsexpire,

ADD COLUMN blog_media_subdir VARCHAR( 255 ) NOT NULL AFTER blog_media_location,

ADD COLUMN blog_media_fullpath VARCHAR( 255 ) NOT NULL AFTER blog_media_subdir,

ADD COLUMN blog_media_url VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL AFTER blog_media_fullpath

12 Jan 26, 2023 23:36

I retried the upgrade and at the return to install link, found this
"" wrote:

Database schema is not up to date!

You have schema version «8820», but we would need «16170».

then retried the upgrade and got this:

"" wrote:

MySQL error!

Table 'evo_useragents' already exists(Errno=1050)

Your query:

CREATE TABLE evo_useragents (

agnt_ID INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,

agnt_signature VARCHAR(250) NOT NULL,

agnt_type ENUM('rss','robot','browser','unknown') DEFAULT 'unknown' NOT NULL,

PRIMARY KEY (agnt_ID) )

13 Jan 26, 2023 23:54

Yeah so I'm stuck in a loop.

FWIW

TL;DR

You can ignore everything I said in the beginning of this thread and just focus on these error messages as I'm pretty sure I'm on the right path now. I just need to figure out how to resolve these error messages!

I've tried "dropping" these tables but the errors just keep coming back.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

14 Jan 27, 2023 00:12

It looks like it may have something to do with InnoDB vs MYISAM.

The original DB was MYISAM.

The tables that are generating the errors are all InnoDB and, BTW, are all empty (0 rows).

I don't know anything about databases, just looking at it from phpMyAdmin. Would greatly appreciate assistance.

15 Jan 27, 2023 19:08

When you imported the old database did you remove the content of the new 'empty' one.
i.e. using phpMyAdmin > DROP > All tables
then import

16 Jan 27, 2023 20:49

@amoun wrote earlier:

When you imported the old database did you remove the content of the new 'empty' one.
i.e. using phpMyAdmin > DROP > All tables
then import

No, I did not! I will experiment with that now.

17 Jan 27, 2023 20:59

Dang, I thought we might be onto something. I dropped all, then imported old database.

It gave me another error like which I had encountered before:

"Duplicate entry 'stub' for key 'blog_stub'(Errno=1062)"

and after refreshing, the same other error:

"Table 'evo_useragents' already exists(Errno=1050)"

18 Jan 27, 2023 23:18

"Table 'evo_useragents' already exists(Errno=1050)"

That happens most times I drop ALL, one gets left.

Try again to drop, then check the database for a/the remaining table and drop that separately.

19 Jan 29, 2023 01:53

Yeah I keep doing that and it's basically an endless loop. It seems to vary between the two above errors forever.

20 Jan 29, 2023 11:21

"Duplicate entry 'stub' for key 'blog_stub'(Errno=1062)"

I don't know what that is but, as you no doubt created a user name and password for the new database, importing the old database would in theory overwrite both. That would mean you would need the old username and password to log into the site ~ i.e. back end wouldn't give access.

Will think on it, but much busy :)

21 Jan 30, 2023 02:25

I do actually have the password for the old one but this is for a new database I created, dropped everyyhing out of and then into which I imported the old database. I supplied the credentials to the installation.

Form is loading...